There’s even more The Witcher gaming love to be had, this time with CD Project RED’s free-to-play MOBA The Witcher Battle Arena that recently received a huge update with Friends and Foes.
For those who’ve never played League of Legends or don’t even know what an MOBA is, here’s just the short version of it. MOBA stands for multiplayer online battle arena and LOL is basically a mod of the old but still popular real-time-strategy title Warcraft III. The goal of the game is to defend towers/control points and hold them in order to collect points. The more points one side gains, the more points the other loses, counting down until a match is won. This is done by using heroes and by levelling up, so no base building is involved.
The Witcher Battle Arena can be downloaded and played for free on iOS and Android, and it’s apparently not pay-to-win. With the strong licence behind it and some lovely cartoon-y colorful graphics, it’s even more interesting to check out.
The Friends and Foes update is quite huge with these changes/improvements:
– New legendary items: new boots, belts & gloves for every character
– Friend system for team-based play with friends
– Tutorial system intended to teach new players the basics of the game
– Ranking system and leaderboards for competitive play
– New mode: deathmatch
– New Map: Berserker Shrine
– Item shop: legendary belts, boots, and gloves are now available for purchase (only for in-game currency)
– Player profiles for easier match and statistics tracking
– Unlockable avatars for profile customization
– New Character: Triss Merigold, who wields powerful ice magic
– New skins: legendary skins for Saskia and Triss
– New weapons: 2 Legendary and 1 Rare weapon for Triss
– Daily rewards system that rewards gamers who play the game every day
– Improved skill targeting for better accuracy
– New bomb: Stenchbulb, a non-damaging bomb that slows and silences every enemy within a certain area from explosion
– Easier way to change between characters in the menu for more intuitive navigation
– Twitter and Facebook integration
– Deep balance changes for most characters
I still have to give this a go (and maybe a review treatment if time allows), but The Witcher Adventure Game already showed that CD Project RED isn’t a company that makes simple cash-ins just to push the sales of their upcoming third instalment.
Download the iOS game for free on
the App Store
Download the Android game for free on
If you liked reading this article, make sure you pay a visit to Future Sack which kindly features it as well, and every LIKE or comment is appreciated on EMR’s Facebook page or FS’s Facebook page :). Or FOLLOW the blog on EMR’s Twitter page.